Keeping in focus to highlight the state of Goa as a suited MiCE destination, the Regional Office Maharashtra of India Convention Promotion Bureau (ICPB), in collaboration with Goa Tourism recently organised an interactive seminar. The discussion covered various topics like; Incentive and Initiative by State Govt. to promote Goa as a MiCE destination; Role of Tourism Ministry, Govt. of India in promotion of MiCE in Goa. Executive Director ICPB presented the Role Bureaus can play in re-positioning Goa as a MiCE destination.
The highlight of the seminar was the panel discussion – ‘Marketing Hotels – Key Segment for MiCE in Goa’. The fruitful interaction included panelists from various MiCE segments, like incentives, exhibitions and convention and meeting, who discussed the power of incentives, challenges for holding large conferences and meeting design. The panel was represented by Amaresh Tiwari, Sanjay Soni and Amit Saroj from ICPB and Gaurav Apte from Marriott Goa.
The outcome of the deliberation was the strategies of attracting business event, different from the leisure market. The session was moderated by Chander Mansharamani, Vice Chairman – ICPB.
There were recommendations made by Mansharamani which included a MiCE policy, along with suggestion of measures which Goa Tourism can initiate:
- To prioritise the source market and develop a marketing calendar
- Global outreach of media – a separate budget for MiCE
- Incentivising international conferences & meetings to make hosting conferences in India an attractive proposition – hosting site visits
- Create corpus fund – for marketing and supporting bidding process
- Participation in MiCE-related trade shows in India and abroad
- Certification programme to enhance the level of services in accordance with international standards
- One of the most important segments of global convention industry is the conferences organised by international scientific, technical, medical associations. One needs to encourage the local chapter to bid for the conference.
After getting a good response from Goa, ICPB now plans to have similar interactive day programme in various cities to promote MiCE across the country.